The two story “old Lyons house” at 1335 Horridge Street in Vinton—built in 1900 by Luvicy Jane and Samuel Richard Lyons—was the first home in Calcasieu Parish to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Lyons, a member of one of the oldest pioneer families in the parish, was a retired cattleman and prominent Vinton citizen.
About the “Old Lyons House”
The house is painted blue today, but was originally painted white, with all trim and gingerbread painted “old Rose.”
The house has four upstairs bedrooms and three closets—an exception to the buildings of that era. Two fireplaces downstairs and one in the upstairs master bedroom share a central chimney. Downstairs, the Lyons built a lady’s parlor, gentleman’s parlor, dining room, kitchen, ariel bay window and a large foyer with an elaborate Eastlake staircase. Two bathrooms were added in the early 1940s.
The home was used as as bed and breakfast in the 1980s and is currently privately owned.
Sam Lyons and Electricity
About the year 1916, Sam Lyons and Dr. Ford together bought a Fairbanks-Morse generator, and installed a small electricity plant in the alley behind the house to produce electricity for Lyons, Dr. Ford and a couple of businesses in town. When they turned on the electricity, Lyons left his lights on for the first 24-36 hours so that people in the surrounding areas would have a chance to come into town and see for themselves what electric lights were like.
Obituary – Sam R. Lyons, Aged Citizen of Calcasieu, Dies
Vinton, La. Aug 26, 1934. Sam R. Lyons , 82, member of one of the oldest pioneer families of Calcasieu parish, died at his home here Saturday night after a six month illness. Both his father and grandfather were residents of Calcasieu Parish. His father, the late David H. Lyons was sheriff of Imperial Calcasieu for 18 years.
Services will be held at the home Monday afternoon at 2:30, with the Rev. L.W. Rogers of the Baptist church and the Rev. A.D. George pf the Methodist church officiating. Burial will be in the family cemetery at Big Woods, with Burke and Trotti in charge.
Pallbearers wil be Arthur Simmons, D. J. Moreau, John Welsh, Foster Ford, E. J. Fairchild, J.E. Johnson, Joe Romero, and J.H. Wetheril.
Former Cattleman. Mr. Lyons was Born 2 April 1852 in Edgerly and had lived in Vinton the last 43 years. He owned an extensive amount of real estate in this parish and retired from the cattle business 15 years ago. He was a member of the W.O.W. and the Baptist church and was quite active in political life, but never ran for an office. He was one of the first school board members of this ward.
On Sept 29, 1870, he married Miss Tabitha E. Lyons, who died January 30, 1896. There were four children, all living except one. They are Mrs. Ona Ecker, of Vinton. Mrs. Jane Hampton of Carthage, Texas, and Dave C. Lyons of Lake Charles, and Mrs. Daisy Puckett, deceased.
On July 14, 1896 he married Miss Luvicy Jane Lyons, (who died in 1909), sister of his first wife. There were no children. He then married on July 8, 1910, Emma Garret, who survives.
He was a brother of the late Dr. Gus Lyons of Lake Charles and has one living sister, Mrs. Ella M. Carruthers, formerly of Lake Charles, now of Beaumont. Besides his wife and three children he is survived by 15 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.